Opening of the exhibition entitled “The All Blacks. The History of an Invincible Jersey” will take place on Wednesday, 18th October at 5:30pm in the “Antigua Rula” Exhibition Hall in Gijón (Calle Claudio Alvargonzález, 32). The exhibition will remain open to the public for a month. Admission to the opening by invitation only.
Steve Tew, CEO of the New Zealand Rugby Union, will be in charge of opening the exhibition. At the exhibition, you will be able to see how the team’s sportswear has evolved, as well as several trophies that the team has won throughout its history.
The collection includes:
- 1905. Ernie Booth’s. He wore it in the early days of the All Blacks,
when they were known as ‘The Originals’. It is one of the oldest
- 1924. George Nepia’s. Used in the All Blacks’ next stage, that of the
‘Invincibles’. He played in it in the national team’s first victory over
- 1946. Jim Sherratt’s. Sherrat, who played for the New Zealand Army team, better known as the Kiwis, was the team’s top scorer.
- 1967. Ian McRae’s. He wore it on the 17-game tour of Canada, the UK and
France, where they were unbeaten. He played 8 games in this jersey.
- 1981. Bernie Fraser’s. Fraser wore it in 3 games during the Springbok
Tour against South Africa, one of their greatest rivals. The tour was
embroiled in the country’s apartheid policy.
- 1987. Grant Fox’s. Front page when they won the First World Cup against France.
- 1995. Jonah Lomu’s. Lomu led the All Blacks to the final of the Rugby World Cup, becoming rugby’s first international superstar.
- 1998. Farah Palmer’s. Palmer was a member of the Black Ferns, representing women’s rugby. She wore the jersey when they won their first World Cup.
- 2010. The centenary of the Maori All Blacks was celebrated via a series of three games, for which a unique jersey was designed inspired by traditional Maori elements, Te Ao Hou (The New Dawn).
- 2015. Richie McCaw’s. The All Blacks’ captain wore this jersey in the quarterfinals of the World Cup..
- The Webb Ellis Cup, received in 2017, it is a replica in commemoration of the 2015 World Cup, which they won. The All Blacks is the first team to win the tournament three times.
- The Hillary Shield, a trophy contested between the All Blacks and England since 2008.
- The World Rugby U20 Championship, belonging to the New Zealand national under-20 team, who have won it on 6 occasions.
- La gorra plateada de Keven Mealamu otorgada en 2017, una gorra que se entrega como mérito a los jugadores al cumplir los 100 partidos, solo la han conseguido 7 jugadores.
There will also be a virtual reality simulator, which will recreate the moment when players dance their traditional haka in the middle of the field.